National Institute for Literacy

[Technology 1083] Re: A new vision for online learning

Marian Thacher mthacher at otan.us
Mon Jun 18 12:34:43 EDT 2007

Thanks for this vision, David. I appreciate the insights from video games,
because it's certainly true that many who find traditional basic skills
learning challenging can be whizzes at video games and other online
environments. One young man in a ASE class comes to mind who was
struggling with finishing his high school diploma, but ran a role-playing
game site with discussion boards and participation by 3,000 users per day.

The idea of building a learning center in Second Life is exciting. I've
been watching the developments there, and you're right, there's lots of
investment in post-secondary education. There are ways in which this might
be a really good fit for our learners. It would take a big investment of
time and money (and thought!) to build it, but I think in a few years the
interface will be a lot easier for the average person to use.

How do we envision what might take place in such a learning center?

Marian Thacher

The Technology and Literacy Discussion List <technology at nifl.gov> on