National Institute for Literacy

[Technology 1080] Re: NovaNet classes

Kathie Daviau daviauk at billings.k12.mt.us
Sun Jun 17 10:13:23 EDT 2007

I use NovaNet as part of my curriculum in my adult ed classes. I also use NovaNet as the main curriculum in a credit recovery for 14-18 year old high school students.

NN is pretty good curriculum for math. The latest upgrade made the algebra multimedia, which also means user-friendly. The history is good curriculum if you can read, but the prescriptive element is very long in terms of hours to completion. The science curriculum needs updating; it is pretty dossy. Our science teacher does many supplemental lessons. The English is the curriculum that needs the most supplementing; but you can supplement with other NN lessons or paper-and-pencil lessons.

Overall, NN is a good program, but very pricey. NN can be used however you need it, whether prescriptive, non-prescriptive, or in small chunks. Just remember it is only a tool.

Kathie
Billings, Montana