National Institute for Literacy

[Technology 1033] Re: Inmate computer use statistics?

nancy.friday at alphaplus.ca nancy.friday at alphaplus.ca
Wed May 23 14:41:16 EDT 2007

Hi Anna,

Nancy Friday here in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

One of the school board literacy programs here in Toronto was introduced to an
upgrading courseware system called Aztec a few years ago. Aztec was being used
in a large prison here in Ontario and has proved to be very popular with a wide
range of literacy programs across Ontario.

I believe the reason that program worked within the prison was that it didn't
require Internet access, but did engage users in computer learning.

I know this doesn't exactly address your question about Internet access by
prisoners, but does speak to computer use for learning by prisoners.

Aztec Software is an American company and the content of the curricula is
American. Two Canadian educators here in Ontario have partnered with Aztec to
market and promote the courseware here in Ontario and as a result modules of the
curricula have been re-written or adjusted to serve a Canadian market.

Here's the web site: www.aztecsoftware.com

If you want some insight into how it was used in a correctional facility here in
Toronto you can contact Fraser Gagne at fraserg at georgian.net

Nancy

Anna Barker <dv1635 at wayne.edu> on 05/23/2007 01:58:21 PM

Please respond to The Technology and Literacy Discussion List
<technology at nifl.gov>