National Institute for Literacy

[Technology 850] Re: The magic of technology for learning is outside the classroom

David Rosen djrosen at comcast.net
Mon Feb 12 17:24:15 EST 2007

Hello Alan and Craig,

On Feb 12, 2007, at 1:39 PM, Gerstle, Alan wrote:

> I believe the technology in education debate has not changed much in

> 2,000 years. Plato's Seventh Epistle warns against using systems of

> writing because Plato feared they would lead to the decay of memory.

> Doesn't each technology provide something and take away something

> else?

> And isn't the introduction of a technology into a culture have

> unintended consequences simply because we cannot foresee the future?

> How enthusiastic would the developers of the internal engine be if

> they

> foresaw that automobile accidents would kill 40,000 Americans each

> year--chiefly owing to human error?

> Perhaps if there were a set of 'first principles' about technology,

> one

> could begin to address their place in society and education. Among

> these would be, I think,

> 1) Decide what is worth knowing;

> 2) Figure out a way of teaching technological literacy--not only the

> capabilities of technology as learning tools--but the moral philosophy

> behind those who encouarge the use of technology.

> 3) Understand the motivation of technocrats; simply because someone

> avers, for example, that video games are 'good for you,' understand

> the

> person's concept of good. The assembly line was 'good' for

> manufacturers. Was it good for workers? Textbooks are good for

> (many)

> teachers, and definitely for publishers. Are they good for students?

I think James Paul Gee would not say that "video games are good for
you." He might say that some games, well-designed ones, are well-
designed learning environments. He might say that some video games
are good for some people, although I don't recall that he does. He
has said that there are some learning design principles which apply
both to well-designed video games and to classrooms. He has a list
of these in the appendix of his book, but frankly, most of them only
make sense after you have "engaged" with the chapters of the book.

> Moral philosophy is of particular significance in a concern raised

> here

> regarding a 'well-made' videogame that 'excites and stimulates' vs.

> poorly designed ones without any 'strategic challenge.' Al-Quaeda

> have

> reprogrammed video games and used them as recruiting tools. Their

> objective it is to destroy the American military in virtual reality.

> Would anyone applaud a well-designed game of that nature?

Gee devotes a thoughtful chapter to this issue and cites an example
of a game whose content is to teach those of one religion to hate
those of another.

Gee's book addresses this in some detail. From his study of video
games and classrooms, he generates learning design principles which
are evidenced in both well-designed video games and classrooms.

> Craig

> --------------------------------------

> Craig Alinder

> info at gaming-pc.net

> http://www.refinancequiz.com

It sounds like you might find this book interesting.

David J. Rosen

David J. Rosen
djrosen at comcast.net

>>> how

>>> technology relates to the teaching and learning process and

>>> integrating it in a purposeful way. To begin grappling with that

>>> question a useful reference source is the report by the National

>>> Research Council titled "How People Learn: Brain, Mind, Experience,

>>> and School" (1999). Of course, there have been many advances in the

>>> technology we use since the time it was published, but many of the

>>> core findings I believe still hold true.

>>> What do others on the list think? How can these recommendations

>>> inform our practice? Following is an excerpt from the concluding

>>> chapter.

>>> LEARNING ENVIRONMENTS

>>> Tools of Technology

>>> Technology has become an important instrument in education.

>>> Computer-based technologies hold great promise both for increasing

>>> access to knowledge and as a means of promoting learning. The public

>>> imagination has been captured by the capacity of information

>>> technologies to centralize and organize large bodies of knowledge;

>>> people are excited by the prospect of information networks, such as

>>> the Internet, for linking students around the globe into communities

>>> of learners.

>>> There are five ways that technology can be used to help meet

>>> the

>>> challenges of establishing effective learning environments:

>>> 1. Bringing real-world problems into classrooms through the use of

>>> videos, demonstrations, simulations, and Internet connections to

>>> concrete data and working scientists.

>>> 2. Providing "scaffolding" support to augment what learners can do

>>> and reason about on their path to understanding. Scaffolding allows

>>> learners to participate in complex cognitive performances, such as

>>> scientific visualization and model-based learning, that is more

>>> difficult or impossible without technical support.

>>> 3. Increasing opportunities for learners to receive feedback from

>>> software tutors, teachers, and peers; to engage in reflection on

>>> their own learning processes; and to receive guidance toward

>>> progressive revisions that improve their learning and reasoning.

>>> 4. Building local and global communities of teachers,

>>> administrators,

>>> students, parents, and other interested learners.

>>> 5. Expanding opportunities for teachers' learning.

>>> An important function of some of the new technologies is their

>>> use as tools of representation. Representational thinking is central

>>> to in-depth understanding and problem representation is one of the

>>> skills that distinguish subject experts from novices. Many of the

>>> tools also have the potential to provide multiple contexts and

>>> opportunities for learning and transfer, for both student-learners

>>> and teacher-learners.

>>> Technologies can be used as learning and problem-solving tools to

>>> promote both independent learning and collaborative networks of

>>> learners and practitioners.

>>> The use of new technologies in classrooms, or the use of any

>>> learning aid for that matter, is never solely a technical matter.

>>> The

>>> new electronic technologies, like any other educational resource,

>>> are

>>> used in a social environment and are, therefore, mediated by the

>>> dialogues that students have with each other and the teacher.

>>> Educational software needs to be developed and implemented with

>>> a full understanding of the principles of learning and developmental

>>> psychology. Many new issues arise when one considers how to educate

>>> http://books.nap.edu/html/howpeople1/ch10.html

>>> Mariann Fedele

>>> Associate Director,

>>> NYC Regional Adult Education Network

>>> Literacy Assistance Center

>>> Moderator,

>>> NIFL Technology and Literacy Discussion List

>>> 32 Broadway 10th Floor

>>> New York, New York 10004

>>> 212-803-3325

>>> www.lacnyc.org

>>> Subject: [Technology 833] Re: Changing reading levels of text

>>> questions

>>> http://www.usingenglish.com/resources/text-statistics.php

>>> http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/healthliteracy/materials.html

>>> I am finding that even though there are some things that just amaze

>>> me staff and students now we seem to ask too much of technology

>>> expect it to be like magic. Others?

>>> Good luck,

>>> Steve

>>> I received the following request and I'm stumped. Here's the

> request:

>>> -

>>> -

>>> --

>>> --------

>>> Do you know of a computer program that takes text and offers

>>> suggestions for dropping the reading level.. As in maybe 10th grade

>>> to 5th grade...Is there software that does that other than just

>>> using

>>> the Flesch-Kincaid Readability stats and doing it by hand???

>>> Next question..When you are adapting text for folks with literacy

>>> issues....you know how you drop the reading level down and augment

>>> with pictures...Is there a term that is used for that ..something

>>> like .modified text with pictures or something like that...????

>>> -

>>> -

>>> --

>>> --------

>>> The only thing I can find that might help is the Auto Summarize

>>> feature in Microsoft Word, but it's not really appropriate. Does

>>> anyone know of some software that will drop the reading level of

>>> text? And is there a term for that process?

>>> Thanks for whatever help anyone can give, Patti White

>>> Patti White, M.Ed.

>>> Disabilities Project Manager

>>> Arkansas Adult Learning Resource Center prwhite at madisoncounty.net

>>> http://aalrc.org/resources/ld/index.aspx