National Institute for Literacy

[Technology 1224] Re: Homeland Security question

John Fleischman jfleischman at scoe.net
Fri Aug 24 10:05:21 EDT 2007

Greetings, Larry and Barry. And greetings to NIFL Tech Listserv
subscribers. John Fleischman here at the Sacramento County Office of
Education.

I believe I can shed some light on the August 10th announcement by
President Bush and Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff. See:
<http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2007/08/20070810.html>.

The announcement by the Administration focused on improving border
security and immigration. The last item on the list, number 26,
indicates, "The Department of Education will launch a free, Web-based
portal to help immigrants learn English, and expand this model over time.

The development of this portal is an outgrowth of a currently funded
Office of Vocational and Adult Education (OVAE) project entitled
Strengthening Programs Through Technology (AKA AdultEd Online), a
partnership between my office and the University of Michigan. The
contract was awarded to develop a number of technology resources for adult
education including exploring the feasibility of building a Web portal
where adult learners could find instructional materials on subjects
ranging from learning English to preparing for the G.E.D. To better
understand the design features a portal should have, a prototype is being
built first. The prototype will contain learning materials in three
areas: a beginning-level English course, a mid-level English course, and
activities for improving reading, writing and life skills.

The prototype should be complete on January 31, 2008. It will then
undergo several months of field testing with learners. By September a
refined portal should be ready to launch for use by adults anywhere in the
United States. The portal begins with a focus on learning English, but
the portal is expected to expand over time, with the addition of materials
in areas such as civics and basic skills.

Over the next couple of months we'll be sharing more information about the
portal. We also look forward to getting stakeholder input as we conduct
field testing during Winter-Spring of 2008.

John Fleischman
jfleischman at scoe.net

Jerome Johnston
jerej at umich.edu