National Institute for Literacy

[Technology 948] Re: Subject: RE: handhelds day 2

McNutt Jr, William R mcnutt at utk.edu
Thu Apr 19 15:05:06 EDT 2007

I just had an experience I thought I would share with ya'll. Recently,
my beloved Dell Axim X51 handheld had a stroke, and I had to replace it.
I ordered a new one from dell.com and got a better screen and more
memory in the new model. Adding the network capability that I use, it
came to slightly more than $500.00. My wife bought a Treo smartphone
that does just about everything my Axim does for less.

Two weeks later, announced that they were dead-ending the Axim line. I
can no longer find my brand-new handheld on the dell web site.
Subsequent looking around reveals that the conventional wisdom among the
technorati is that handheld computers have had their day in the sun.
The smart money is betting on the smartphone, like the Blackjack and the
Treo replacing the handheld for most functions.

Bill McNutt