National Institute for Literacy

[LearningDisabilities 996] Re: Looking for expert advice to help literacy student: Carolyn's student

Mary S. Kelly mskelly at aecom.yu.edu
Fri Mar 30 09:55:56 EDT 2007

I think you have received some excellent suggestions for your
student. Multisensory instruction should be helpful. You might also want
to try having her hold the book upside down. This is helpful to some (very
few) people. Make sure she is seen by an ophthalmologist, not just an
optician, and make sure that she explains her reading complaints to the
doctor. Finally, you might want to explore the research done at Dr. Keith
Rayner's eye movement lab at UMass. A good place to start is
www.childrenofthecode.org/interviews/rayner.htm. Good luck, this sounds
like an interesting and challenging case.
Mary S. Kelly, PhD
Director, Fisher Landau Center for the Treatment of LD
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
1165 Morris Park Ave.
Bronx, NY 10463
718-430-3908