National Institute for Literacy

[LearningDisabilities 1048] Re: Try Another Way Philosophy

Woods woodsnh at isp.com
Tue Apr 10 23:32:46 EDT 2007

Rochelle, you're right, of course, when you write about your 'Try
Another Way' philosophy. I often resort to the large toolbox metaphor
myself, especially when the conversation turns to how best to teach
people to read. I have observed that possession of a large toolbox does
not necessarily mean that a person will use the tools in it. You hit
upon that too when you wrote about how we are often inclined to teach
the same way we learned ourselves. I think we all do that to a great
extent; it is a typically human attribute. It is probably also a reason
why we so often run into problems with students who learn differently.

The cognitive psychologists refer to rigid thinking as being an
impediment to creativity and insight. This is thinking inside the box,
or thinking confined by paradigm, and it is extremely difficult to break
out. Ability to recognize this kind of thinking in one's self as well as
an ability (and willingness) to try something completely new are
qualities I think the best teachers have. Or maybe I should say it is
what the most versatile teachers have.

Tom Woods
Community High School of Vermont