National Institute for Literacy

[LearningDisabilities 1042] Re: Fwd: Chair of Practitioner's Task Force on Adults with LD

Michael Tate mtate at sbctc.ctc.edu
Tue Apr 10 16:48:24 EDT 2007

To bring in another thread about RTI, these four principles are what
draw me toward RTI, especially your fourth principle. This reinforces
for me the need that there be a symposium to at least find principles
that we all can support, and identify aspects we cannot abide. Without
such understandings, how could we ever initiate the kinds of research we
need to move forward?

Last quarter I took a class on "what works" in community development.
One of the paramount criteria was the use of indigenous technology. To
translate that into our situation, if adult education programs are going
to be able to help learners with LD be successful, we need very
low-tech, cheap, user-friendly, intuitive interventions.

Michael Tate
State Program Administrator
Washington State Board for
Community and Technical Colleges