National Institute for Literacy

[LearningDisabilities 893] Re: Re. Priorities for Research

Christy Breihan breihanc at matc.edu
Mon Jan 29 22:35:24 EST 2007

Wow! I think that's exactly what we need to be able to select appropriate interventions and, if necessary, accommodations. The generalizations put forward at most professional development events I attend seem more intended to elicit sympathy than to find remedies. It should be possible through current research methods to identify specific barriers to precise areas of learning and then find the best tools to move the learner past them. Defining a group by its distance from a norm rather that by what actually separates it only perpetuates the sense of mystery when we should be seeking understanding. I absolutely agree that research results are less impressive than they might be were we applying them to better defined, more homogeneous groups. Doing this would also require all who aspire to claim some expertise in the field to update their lexicon in a way many practitioners have not done since their college days. Hopefully science will finally bring enlightenment to the warring "beliefs" in education.
Christy Breihan
Adult Basic Ed Instructor

>>> Richard Gacka <ldconsultants at mac.com> 01/25/07 8:22 PM >>>

I have been following the thread of responses to the question
regarding future research efforts. Since the discussion has recently
turned toward recognition that the problem may be ambiguity at the
center of the bull’s eye, that is, the definition of the condition
being measured, I would like to continue the discussion.

Like many apparent conundrums, movement toward a solution of the
problems that affect “research” may not be easy, and may call for
greater reconciliation between “theoretical” and “practical”
considerations. I would hope that there is rather generalized
recognition that there is a problem, the research that we have is
often based on a very poorly defined group and that flaw ripples
through all of the generalizations that result. To be certain, we
should address research problem. But in doing so, do we focus on
“fixing” the definition, or more realistically, moving in the
direction of having better definitions. I think the latter would be a
viable initial research objective.

The literature shows increasing frequency of the term “spectrum
disorder” in describing symptomatic continuums. I would propose that
use of the term would be appropriate in the field of Learning
Disabilities, i.e. we begin to replace the singular term “Learning
Disability” with the more encompassing (and in my view more accurate)
term “Learning Disabilities Spectrum Disorder.” This would better
address the multiplicity of etiology but would also allow
differentiation of the different “types” of “L.D.” Achieving that
differentiation would be a major accomplishment, since that
differentiation would greatly facilitate research on the impact of
interventions because doing so would allow more “apples to apples”
analysis. I have thought for a long time that much of the past
research has failed to show impact because the group that was
studied, while having the same “label,” was in fact a rather
heterogeneous group.

It is interesting to look at the DSM-IV in terms of the number and
specificity of diagnostic codes. “Learning Disorders” has 4 codes,
“Communication Disorders” has 5 codes and “Attention-Deficit and
Disruptive Disorders” have 5 codes. Those codes are generally not
consistent with terminology used in educational discussions, although
one can mentally make a “cross-walk” between them and the terminology
used in the field of Adult Education. Wouldn’t it be a step forward
for the field if the people who did the diagnostic work spoke the
same language as the people who provide the “treatment?” Another way
to look at the DSM-IV issue is to compare the generic area of
Learning Problems with the area of Substance Abuse. In the latter,
there are 114 (I may be off a little) diagnostic codes. It does not
take an expert to see that the “field” of Substance Disorder” did a
much better job of lobbying for representation and specificity than
did the field of “Learning Disabilities.” Since most research starts
with some attempt at grouping, and since that grouping often depends
of diagnostic classification, I would argue that some major thrust in
the field of “LD” would be to better articulate the “Types,” and that
gets back to the concept of it being a “Spectrum Disorder.”

Another benefit or promoting a view of Learning Disabilities as a
“family” of disorders sharing commonalities but also having
differences would be the ability to identity or compensate for
contaminating secondary and environmental issues. This has been
suggested in the earlier discussions but has not been clearly
defined; the differentiation between the “pure underlying condition,”
and the presentation seen by most practitioners of “the pure
underlying condition, exacerbated by secondary, environmental,
health, and emotional factors.” Those factors need to be
differentiated and recognized as part of any research.

Having said all of that, the true value would be the enhanced
capacity of practitioners to better select interventions that would
have a greater probability of resulting in improved performance. If a
clear and easy to understand classification system were available, it
would allow practitioners to better conceptualize the group of
students in their charge. With clearer definitions they could better
adapt their use of materials and techniques to meet the
characteristics of their students. Concurrently, “formal research”
could use the same classifications but do so at a much more rigorous
level of variable control, ideally keying off of “trends” reported in
the practitioner research. This would result in a significant
reduction in the chasm between research and reality.

So, what exactly am I suggesting?

The field of Learning Disabilities needs to establish a presence
within the community that is currently working on the next revision
of the DSM. The goal would be to expand the specificity of diagnostic
codes and include clear definitions so that practitioners could
conceptualize their interventions in the same terminology. I know
that there are individuals who would resist such an expansion of
categorization, but it need not be punitive, sterile or
discriminatory, and it is sorely needed if the field is to gain any
true professional recognition.

That the field refine its thinking from speaking of “A Learning
Disability” to “A Continuum” or “A Spectrum of Manifestations.” Even
with the current “spectrum disorders” seen in the literature, (for
example, Autism Spectrum Disorder), every individual case is likely
to be a unique “hybrid” because no two individuals will have lived in
the same environment and experienced the same consequences of having
those difficulties. Starting to think of learning problems from that
perspective would be a step in the right direction.

That practitioners at the “grass roots” level begin to conceptualize
the Learning Disabilities that they see on a daily basis as “sub-
types” of a “family” of manifestations, and begin to adjust their
interventions accordingly. I would encourage energetic application of
“practitioner research” or “practitioner inquiry,” thinking more
about gathering objective data on the consequences of their
instruction than the term that they happen to call their efforts or
the formal regulation of related variables. If that were done, a
small “core” of informal evidence might evolve, that could then
direct subsequent more rigorous “formal” research.

My apologies for the length of this communication, but I hope it has
been helpful in continuing the discussion.

Richard Gacka
Director: PA ABLE Learning Differences project
ldconsultants at web.mac.com