National Institute for Literacy

[LearningDisabilities 1593] Re: Depression and Learning Disabilities

Woods woodsnh at isp.com
Tue Dec 4 22:12:30 EST 2007

Your tutor may already know there is no universal set of symptoms for
ADHD. Depression also affects learners in different ways. It can be very
hard for the lay teacher or tutor to be able to tell them apart, but it
probably is not necessary to do so. Both can result in impulsivity,
inattention, inability to concentrate for extended periods,
distractability, etc. There may be unexplained absences, lack of
engagement, apparent lack of motivation, and inability to remember what
was learned previously, all things one might also expect to see in
someone who experiences ADHD.

Sometimes the medications used to treat depression have adverse side
effects that interfere with learning so the tutor will want to watch for
that and ask the student about the effects meds have.

Working with students with either condition requires patience. Work for
shorter (but possibly more frequent) periods, get the student to get up
and move around, give reminders and redirection. Allow frequent breaks.
I think it is important to continually ask the student what works and
what doesn't. Be willing to make changes based on what the student tells
you.

The type of depression a student may have can have different
implications for teaching. I've had students with bi-polar disorder and
when they are in their depressed state, I'm lucky if they get out of bed
to come to class. When they are in their manic state, I can't keep up
with them. They are full of motivation and want to do school work around
the clock. The saying, "make hay when the sun shines," would be
applicable to a teacher of such individuals.

Tom Woods