National Institute for Literacy

[LearningDisabilities 1424] FW: Article on Communication StrategiesforEnglish Language Learners with LD

Michael Tate mtate at sbctc.edu
Wed Oct 10 14:01:36 EDT 2007

From: Harich, Connie (Contractor) [mailto:Connie.Harich at ed.gov]
Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2007 10:55 AM
To: Michael Tate
Cc: rkenyon721 at aol.com
Subject: FW: [LearningDisabilities 1421] Article on Communication StrategiesforEnglish Language Learners with LD

From: Michael Tate [mailto:mtate at sbctc.edu]
Sent: Wed 10/10/2007 1:39 PM
To: The Learning Disabilities Discussion List

I found this intriguing series of studies on issues that arise when test designers work on creating accessible reading assessments that will be used with large (national) populations.

This is the National Accessible Reading Assessment Projects webpage:

http://www.narap.info/ <http://www.narap.info/>

ETS is partnering with several testing departments at universities and with disability advocacy groups in this effort.

They start their project by defining what reading is. Is it understanding? Is it decoding? How you answer these questions may affect how willing you might be to allow accommodations like Braille, screen readers, and ASL signers inside the reading tent.

For me, reading is understanding, so I don’t have the issues that others may have about including ASL signers as acceptable reading test accommodations.

Michael Tate