National Institute for Literacy

[LearningDisabilities 1163] Re: Learning Disabilities and Inequities

Glenn Young gyoungxlt at adelphia.net
Tue May 1 09:19:13 EDT 2007

To Nadia or Kevin or both

Thanks for a very insightful reply --- and clearly linking the issues of LD
to the standard struggle of persons with disabilities and other persons who
have lived in oppressed and discriminated situations in society ...

And we must remember the quote of Bobby Kennedy (who was actually quoting
someone else when he said ...) Some look at things as they are and ask why,
others dream of how things could be and ask why not? ... (I think it was
George Bernard Shaw but not sure)

And that is what every group struggling for issues always need to remember
... They need to keep publicly asking why not? And then keep presenting a
vision of how do we get there ... We in the LD community are so stuck on
asking why, with only a few ask why not ... (I am a "why not" type of guy)

And, as we have seen over and over again, the struggle of every group
throughout history has included a phase where they had to develop a positive
model of themselves ... Separate from the models that the general society
has pinned on them ... And often that effort has had to go through several
processes to get to one that works ... And it does not include denying of
themselves, but embracing themselves for what and who they are .... And
moving away from the "society model" with all its built in limitations, to a
self-empowerment model (Negro, to Black to African-American or lady, to
female to women etc)

So with us ... The persons with LD ... We live with all the stereotypes put
on us by society of the Short bus syndrome and the shame of special ed ...
To ... what ever

And the effort of "learning differences" has failed and put us in the wrong
direction (much like the "Negro model" ... Now (and for a long time) the
real need is that we need to go through the same phases as other groups ...
Including and key -- is self awareness of what LD -- not denial not "can't
identify because of this or that ... But recognition and acceptance models
... We need to start saying (to paraphrase James Brown) - "Say it loud, I'm
LD and I'm Proud" ...

So not the school (society model) but the scientific model ... Not Special
ED amorphous "failed group dump" model ... But the minimum brain dysfunction
model ... Not the model of "can't do" ... But the model of "can do" (with
accommodations etc) ... the Disability empowerment models ... Not the
education deficit models - or discrepancy model)

And like the phases of any movement we can't have the "oppressors" defining
what and who we are (Women only, Black only, Gay only groups, were needed to
create a safe place to create a position of power etc) ... We who are LD
need the space and time to develop our "self conscience" without the
leadership of teachers or parents or "professionals" ... And the ability to
sort out our own garbage without selves by ourselves ...

When (like all groups, and all disability groups) the LD community is ready
to present and argue the needs for itself, and not coming from teachers,
parents, etc ... It is then and then only that the issues associated with LD
can really get scouted out and presented in a fashion that is balanced and
fair for the community and persons with LD will be less likely to be
stereotyped and isolated and the "terror" of the short bus syndrome and such
will be stopped for us ...

SO ... Nothing personal against anyone who is not LD ... Its just standard
historical process that I am presenting here .... As I have been presenting
in speeches for years ... Say it loud, I'm LD and I'm proud ... That is
really the first step towards success for persons with LD ... Acceptance and
self pride not denial and avoidance ...

We are not like everyone --- we are persons with a particular disability ...
That disability has consequences ... But we need to work towards elimination
of the stereotyping of the persons and the consequences ... So Say it loud
... Etc.

Thanks for letting me vent yet again ...

Glenn Young
530 Auburn Ave.
Buffalo, New York 14222
Ph. and Fax 716-882-2842