National Institute for Literacy

[LearningDisabilities 927] Re: [FocusOnBasics 643] Teaching theUndocumented Learning DisabledAdult

Cyd Imel cimel at ldawa.org
Tue Feb 27 11:27:00 EST 2007

Direct instruction is a model for teaching that emphasizes well-developed
and carefully planned lessons designed around small step by step learning
increments and clearly defined and prescribed tasks. It is based on the
theory that clear instruction eliminating misinterpretations can greatly
improve and accelerate learning. Direct instruction implements
collaborative problem-solving, has a hands-on, coaching approach. This
strategy is effective for actively involving students in knowledge
construction. If I can touch it, taste it, see it, smell it and do it I can
learn anything.

Cyd Imel
Executive Director
Learning Disabilities Association of Washington
<mailto:cimel at ldawa.org> cimel at ldawa.org
16315 NE 87th Street Suite B-4
Redmond, WA. 98052
425-882-0820 ext #1

LDA helps put the pieces together to change lives

"What do we live for, if not to make the world less difficult for each
other?" Mary Ann Evans
_____