National Institute for Literacy

[LearningDisabilities 921] Re: Policy Question

Patti White prwhite at MadisonCounty.NET
Mon Feb 19 12:11:06 EST 2007

Hi Kathleen,

Those five ADA requirements are straight from the ADA: ADA, Title II, Section 35.106 (required as of 01/26/92) states five administrative requirements that apply to adult education and literacy programs administered through state, county, or city government: (1) Designate a responsible employee (ADA coordinator) (2) Provide public notice (3) Establish grievance procedure (4) Conduct self-evaluation (5) Develop transition plan.

The self-evaluation refers to monitoring ADA compliance. An evaluation should be completed to determine if the program is in compliance with all ADA mandates (not just regarding learning disabilities). A good example of an ADA evaluation for adult education programs is in the University of Kansas Center for Research on Learning's Accommodating Adults with Disabilities in Adult Education Programs publication.

Regarding the transition plan, the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, 2004 (IDEA), defines transition services as, "A coordinated set of activities for a child with a disability that is designed to be within a results oriented process, that is focused on improving the academic and functional achievement of the child with a disability to facilitate the child's movement from school to post-school activities, including post-secondary education, vocational education, integrated employment (including supported employment), continuing and adult education, adult services, independent living or community participation" (Retrieved 01/10/06 from http://www.acc.k12.ar.us/transition/). While IDEA applies only to students under the age of 22, the Learning Disabilities Policy Committee felt that these services should apply to all adult education students with documented disabilities, even those over the age of 22. At this time, case law has not addressed adult education per se but other legal precedents are relevant. Prevailing opinion is if program staff has reason to believe a person has a disability, the staff must make a good faith effort to notify the learner of relevant rights and responsibilities, including information about disability determination and accommodations (University of Kansas Center for Research on Learning, Accommodating Adults with Disabilities in Adult Education Programs, p. 100).

I don't know of any law that says you have to document the success/failure of any applied accommodation; however, our Disabilities Advisory Committee included this in our state guidelines to make sure there would be documentation of all steps taken to accommodate the needs of students with disabilities in the event that a student may file a grievance and charge the program with not providing appropriate or effective accommodations. I think this kind of policy addition is usually referred to as a "CYA" item. ;)

We have a few programs in our state that use PowerPathT as one part of their comprehensive screening process. Most of our programs use a variety of learning disabilities screening tools and techniques to provide individualized, appropriate, and effective screening for our adult students who may have undiagnosed learning disabilities.

Good luck with your training in NY! I am familiar with the current policy initiatives to which you referred - my colleague and I did some introductory training in NYC for the LAC's Learning Disabilities Symposium in December and January. Many programs there are already off to a great start.

I hope I've answered your questions, but let me know if you have more,

Patti

Patti White, M.Ed.
Disabilities Project Manager
Arkansas Adult Learning Resource Center