National Institute for Literacy

[LearningDisabilities 830] Introducing myself

Donna Bain dbain at cfnc-online.org
Wed Jan 3 09:51:44 EST 2007

Hello, Everyone -

I just joined this and a couple of other lists that relate to literacy and
learning. I am a family nurse practitioner, practicing in community health,
with a non-profit preschool that offers comprehensive services to nearly 200
families with low incomes in Alexandria and Arlington, VA. Our programs
include (in addition to our free preschool) social services, health services
(me), family literacy initiatives. We are working with 4 year olds,
primarily, while also providing services to the whole family, and therefore
having significant impact on a population. We regularly refer children we
are concerned about to be evaluated for problems with learning and overall
development. I would love to learn more about this area, and that's why I
joined the list. I hope I will eventually be able to contribute as much as
I learn, but for now the balance is going to be tipped in the other
direction, with a learning curve for me. I love the work of Dr. Mel Levine
and All Kinds of Minds. I think his philosophy and way of working with
those who learn differently is amazing and exactly right..very positive and
fundamentally kind, maximizing strengths and working with differences in
learning very pragmatically so that everyone can succeed.

Happy New Year!

Donna

Donna L. Bain, MSN, RN, FNP-C

Family Nurse Practitioner