National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 1049] Re: GED, Creativity and Fast-tracking

Tina_Luffman at yc.edu Tina_Luffman at yc.edu
Wed Oct 31 13:04:21 EDT 2007

Andres,

Thanks so much for your posting. Our program is similarly trying to build
health literacy gradually this semester, and I am going to borrow your
idea on the potato chip bag as an idea generator for our classes. Who do
you get to come in to do the diabetes checks? The local health department?
I think this is a great idea.

Tina

Tina Luffman
Coordinator, Developmental Education
Verde Valley Campus
928-634-6544
tina_luffman at yc.edu

andresmuro at aol.com
Sent by: assessment-bounces at nifl.gov
10/31/2007 09:38 AM
Please respond to
The Assessment Discussion List <assessment at nifl.gov>

assessment at nifl.gov
cc

Subject
[Assessment 1048] Re: GED, Creativity and Fast-tracking

The thing is that students learn better if information relates to their
knowledge and experiences. For example, in my program, students have
difficulty writing. Once we get them to write about their own experiences,
and teach them to do so, they become better writers. They also publish
their stories. Also, our students face health barriers and want to learn
about health prevention, improvement, access. They also take nutrition
classes. Because they are interested in these topics, they learn fast and
they remain focused and motivated. Also we have good retention.

Ultimately, these topics do not deter them to learn information to pass
the GED. The GED is basically having good reading, writing and math skills
and test taking skills. It doesn't really matter if you teaching them to
read by using the Glencoe GED book, or a health brochure, a bag of potato
chips, legal information, etc. I do this workshop in which I show teachers
that I can teach pretty much all the math skills for the GED using a bag
of potato chips. I can also teach reading, writing and graph skills with
the same bag. Thing is, bags of potato chips are fascinating to students.
They capture their imagination and keep them focused and working on task.
They are also learning how to read nutrition labels and how to watch what
they eat.

So, in a sense, teaching the GED and teaching things that are not in the
book are not necessarily contradictory things. Also, in my program, in
every class, we have a small percentage of students who have diabetes and
don't even know about it. We do a glucose test every semester. Those who
have diabetes are referred to the doctor. To us, even if these students
don't pass the GED, it is a triumph. We essentially saved limbs, if not
lives. In fact, most of these students do get the GED. We also have
victims of domestic violence that start to get counseling, support and
protection. Many of these people would never get the GED.

Finally, as I said before, our students get published, which is a huge
self esteem builder. You can see the student's writings at
http://bordersenses.com/memorias. Click on the books below. You can click
on traducciones on the right to read the translations. Imagine a GED
student who gets published and shows that to her peers, teachers,
relatives. How many students ever dream of getting published or think that
they have any knowledge worth sharing?

Andres