National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 960] Re: Assessing Creative GED Programs

Wendy Quinones teacherwendyq at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 13:04:32 EDT 2007

Hello all,
I weigh in on the side of creativity! My class created the virtual visit
that David Rosen mentions, and I can tell you that the experience allowed
students to enter history in a way I can't imagine anything else would have.
It allowed them to see what could have been a dry subject (GED Social
Studies materials, for example) as something that affected real humans, that
real people participated in. It gave them a new framework for all of the
history and social studies we were studying, as well as a real and shared
experience to write about.

Had it occurred early in the year, I'm sure my students would have
objected. But by then I had perfected my answer to the perennial question,
"Will it be on the test?" Now I simply say, "Yes." You'd be amazed at how
seldom I have been called upon to justify the answer! But it's not hard --
history is a subject, critical thinking is required, and so on.

Finally another possible way to reduce at least student pressure for a
test-driven curriculum is to give homework out of the Steck-Vaughn skills
books. They are cheap (maybe $2 apiece or so) and they keep students happy,
along with giving you material for discussing test-taking skills -- which,
after all, is a form of critical thinking.

Having said all of that, I have also struggled with theme-based learning.
The same issues of open enrollment and spotty attendance plague me. I'm
trying it again this year, though, with lower-level students (GLE about 3-6)
who generally tend to have better attendance than higher levels. I'm
keeping my fingers crossed!

Wendy Quinones