National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 948] Re: GED Discussion - what you need to know!

Donna Chambers donnaedp at cox.net
Tue Oct 9 20:49:25 EDT 2007

David and All,

I believe that most of the problem we face in our AE programs is that we
are entrenched in "GED classes" that making the minimum (just passing the
test) is the predominant objective. Why are we not teaching to standards of
learning that are required for a more generic purpose that can build a
strong foundation for learning? It is very hard to break away from the GED
focus when classes are called GED classes and teachers are called GED
teachers. MA practitioners are encouraged to use the terms ABE and ASE to
get away from the GED mindset. Most GED teachers, as you pointed out, feel
the pressure to teach to the GED test rather than to facilitate learning
that would encourage critical thinking skills that go beyond simply passing
the GED.

If we are truly to be standards based, we must focus on what skills need to
be taught and consider how we will assess the skills so we know when they
are learned, before moving on. This should be part of our everyday practice
and is not forced by following page by page in a GED workbook. Creativity
and innovation should always drive instruction in order to motivate the
learner to learn reading, writing, and math skills that can be applied in
any situation, not just to pass the GED. Research gives us a lot of
information today on how people learn, but do we consider these components
of learning in our instruction? Yes, we should be creative in how we apply
various methods of teaching and learning to our AE classrooms, especially
knowing that for many the more traditional approach is not effective.

In RI the K12 has moved to a proficiency based system. This allows the focus
on teaching and learning to be driven by standards that must be learned
before moving on. My work allows me to look closely at what the K12
teachers are doing to allow various opportunities for the students to learn.
Teachers have brought creative strategies into the classroom so that all
children learn. I see no reason why these strategies would not work with
adults as well, but it will require change, not just in the classroom and
with the teachers, but with the administration and policy makers as well.
Building academic and learning skills takes time and patience. Teachers must
feel comfortable trying alternative ways to instruct and not feel the
pressure of outcomes. Is it important that our students pass the GED or is
it more important that exceed expectations when taking the GED because they
have a strong learning base? If we all stop and think about what we really
want for our students, it is not to achieve the goal to pass the GED. It is
to build a strong foundation of academic skills and learning techniques that
will benefit the student throughout life. And guess what? They will pass
the GED along the way.

Donna Chambers