National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 757] Re: Using Student Goals as Data

Luanne Teller lteller at massasoit.mass.edu
Thu Apr 19 09:50:31 EDT 2007

Hi Marie:

Great point---

As I just stated in my last email, our primary focus is how the
information we derive from our data can benefit our students.

We recently completed a two year study on learner goals, and completely
revised our goal setting process.

In the beginning of the year, students select at least 3 goals that they
want to work on. (We use pictures for beginner ESOL students and more
advanced students who can help translate.) The process is somewhat
driven by the DOE mandates, but we pride ourselves in having an entire
page of "other" goals that students can identify. While the DOE
requirements provide the basic structure for our goal setting process,
we are not limited by it. Each month, students answer three questions
in their blue books around the goals they have selected:

1. What they did in the past month towards meeting their goals
2. What they plan to do in the upcoming month to meet their goals
3. What we can do to assist them.

Instructors collect the goals books each month and review them. We work
as a team to assist students where we can. When a student meets a goal,
the instructor notifies the office staff (there is a paper trail) so we
can enter it into the system (or not depending on the goal and student
authorization to release the information). This allows us to quantify
our learner's progress towards their goals in a data base that yields
useful information.

In the beginning of the year, when instructors collect the goals books
for the first time, they review the information around what goals
students have set. This allows them to integrate goals into the
curriculum and instruction, and provides administrative staff with
information to help planning for the year. For example, many students
this year have selected health-related goals, so we have the Director of
Interpreter Services from our local hospital coming to speak with
students around patient rights and access to health care resources in
the community.

We also have conversation classes that allow us to focus on clusters of
goals. For example, we might do a series on Citizenship if we have
several students with that goal.

In many ways, helping our students articulate and achieve their goals
relates directly to the retention and attendance issue. The best way to
retain students is when they see a direct result from their
participation that is relevant to their daily lives.

At the end of the year, we collate all the information around student
goal achievement. We have an annual year-end student achievement
ceremony, and on each table we place a tent card. On the outside it
says simply "Did you know that..." and on the inside, we include
information about student goal achievements. For example, it might say
that 6 students became American citizens, or 5 students bought new
homes, or 12 students got raises.

This helps communicate the impact of our program to our community
partners and funders in a real and meaningful way.

This is a great example of how we are able to serve our funders (by
quantifying data to meet the state accountability standard around
student goal setting) in a way that truly focuses on meeting our
students' needs.

Luanne