National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 723] Re: What about us little guys using volunteers forone-on-one tutoring?

Sandy Strunk sandy_strunk at IU13.org
Mon Apr 16 17:58:08 EDT 2007

Mary,

I think you raise some valid concerns. When you're working with a small
pool of students like this, aggregate statistics can be rather
meaningless. I would think the most helpful data for you would be
individual diagnostic reading assessment and progress monitoring data.
Are you familiar with the Adult Reading Component study and the work
related to using reading profiles? You might want to check out
http://www.nifl.gov/readingprofiles/. I'm wondering if the component
reading assessments wouldn't go a long way toward "focusing" the reading
instruction you offer based on each learner's profile. That doesn't get
you off the hook for NRS reporting, but it does provide a mechanism for
meeting the highly individual needs of your learners. Just a thought.

Sandy Strunk

Program Director for Community Education

Lancaster-Lebanon Intermediate Unit 13

1020 New Holland Avenue

Lancaster, PA 17601

(717) 606-1873