National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 1074] Re: TABE Training

Venu Thelakkat VenuT at lacnyc.org
Fri Nov 23 15:22:07 EST 2007

I agree with Miriam that test publishers present easy targets for blame.
While I am not overly compelled to defend CTB McGraw Hill, I am not sure
about the point being made by John and Bruce. Is it that;

- The TABE is a bad standardized test and there are others that are
better suited to our purposes? Or is it that

- All standardized assessments are bad and should not be part of any
system for evaluating program or student performance? Or is the
argument that

- Standardized assessments should only be part of a more comprehensive
evaluation system that includes portfolios, performance-based
assessments and teacher observations (this, I believe, is part of the
argument David made in a similar thread a few weeks ago)

Venu Thelakkat

Director of ASISTS/Data Analysis

Literacy Assistance Center

32 Broadway, 10th floor