National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 871] NRS Guidelines for Distance Learning Assessment

David J. Rosen djrosen at comcast.net
Mon Jul 16 13:12:19 EDT 2007

Assessment colleagues,

Here's a follow-up to the discussion on distance learning
assessment. I have a question about the changes to the NRS
guidelines for distance education learners. ( http://www.nrsweb.org.
Look under What's New.)

Item 3: "For NRS reporting, states can count a student only once, as
either a distance education student or traditional classroom learner."

Presumably that means the student can be counted only once annually,
and that the program needs to decide if the student is _primarily_ a
distance learning student or _primarily_ a face-to-face (classroom or
tutorial) student. Presumably this gives programs and students the
freedom to offer distance learning options and face-to-face options
to the same student within the year, that a face-to-face student
could also have supplemental online learning. Presumably, the intent
of this is to avoid double-counting the same person, not to restrict
how students access learning (whether distance learning or face-to-
face or both).

Donna Cornellier, or Larry Condelli, are my presumptions correct?

Thanks,

David J. Rosen
djrosen at comcast.net