National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 762] Re: Using Student Goals as Data

Bonnie Odiorne bonniesophia at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 19 12:23:40 EDT 2007

When a student comes to an adult ed program, it's usually "to learn English," or "to learn to read." It can take a lot of probing to elicit more specific reasons from students: Where/when do you need to speak English, or to speak it better, with whom? What do you do now? Is that working? So goal-setting can and should be an important part of an intake interview, and, as was mentioned, an ongoing component of a classroom situation to track progress and benchmarks, especially since students can plateau and take a long time to "progress." I like the question about whether specific goals are related to better retention, or the sense of community in the classsroom, extrinsic vs. intrinsic motivation, "tangible" progress etc. There would be lots of ways, perhaps, to obtain data on these elements.
Thanks for the discussion. I think it ranges far wider than just ESOL students to the differentiated classroom in general, as well as questions of attrition/retention, which, as has been pointed out, can be systemic, and not program-related at all, but to the multiple barriers adults face.
Bonnie Odiorne, Director, Writing Center, Post University