National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 752] Re: Using Data

David J. Rosen djrosen at comcast.net
Thu Apr 19 02:05:23 EDT 2007

Larry, and others,

Tina, and many other program administrators have observed patterns like
this that suggest that a one-year time frame, a funding year, may not be
the best unit of time in which to measure learner gains, except for
those who are doing basic skills brush-up or who have very short-term
goals like preparing for a drivers license test. I wonder if there is a
possibility that the NRS might be adjusted, perhaps in a pilot at first,
so that a longer period of learning, say three years, might be used to
demonstrate learner gains. Of course, there would need to be
intermediate measures, but accountability -- for programs and states --
might be based on a longer period of time.

It seems to me that the one-year time frame within to measure learning
gains or goals accomplished comes not from K-12 or higher education, but
rather Congressional expectations for job skills training. Would you agree?

Also I wonder if you or others have some examples of programs that track
and report learner outcomes over several years, and use the data for
program improvement.

David J. Rosen
djrosen at comcast.net