National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 725] Re: Using Data for Program Improvement begins today!

Borge, Toni tborge at bhcc.mass.edu
Tue Apr 17 08:45:29 EDT 2007

Good morning from Rain soaked Boston. One area that we use data to
improve literacy services in our program is looking at attendance data.
In Massachusetts, we have a DOE web based system that allows us to view
class attendance data, as well as other pertinent data that gives us
tools to improve literacy services. I review the data and look at each
individual class to see how attendance is. If attendance is low one
month I then review what happened. For example: Was there inclement
weather? Or have any natural disasters occurred in homelands of
students? Was the teacher absent for a period of time? If yes, I know
that is an outside factor. But if I see that attendance is low for more
than a month, I investigate. Ask the program advisor to review calls to
students when absent to find out the reasons given for dropping out and
share the student feedback with the teacher and ask for her/his opinion.
If the overriding case involves students feeling lost over what is being
taught, the teacher opens discussion about the lessons and works with
the students on the topics. Students feel empowered in their learning
and attendance improves.

Toni

Toni F. Borge

Adult Education & Transitions Program Director

Bunker Hill Community College

Chelsea Campus

175 Hawthorne Street

Chelsea, MA 02150

Phone: 617-228-2108 * Fax:617-228-2106

E-mail: tborge at bhcc.mass.edu

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that
matter." Martin Luther King Jr.