National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 652] Re: STAR Struck for Reading Instruction

Marie Cora marie.cora at hotspurpartners.com
Thu Feb 8 16:30:07 EST 2007

Colleagues:

The following post is from Michelle Meeks. The discussion on the STAR
program has sparked a lot of interest on other discussion lists as well.
On the NLA (National Literacy Advocacy List), the discussion is highly
focused on reading instruction and what research the instruction is
based on. The ARCS and Assessment Strategies and Reading Profiles is
also discussed. There is also a discussion thread on the Adult Literacy
Professional Development List.

ASRP/ARCS is at http://www.nifl.gov/readingprofiles/index.htm

Subscribe or view the archives of the NLA at
http://lists.literacytent.org/mailman/listinfo/aaace-nla/

Subscribe or view the archives of the Adult Literacy Professional
Development List at
(http://www.nifl.gov/mailman/listinfo/Professionaldevelopment)

Marie Cora
Assessment Discussion List Moderator

******

The STAR program seems very similar to the ARCS information located on
the NIFL website. Using the ARCS website in conjunction with Susan
McShane's book - Applying Research in Reading Instruction for Adults is
awesome! I would suggest everyone take a look at these 2 resources as
well as the STAR. Locating which of the 4 components of reading an
adult is struggling with will help you streamline instruction and not
spend time playing detective as to what the student needs.

Michelle Meeks, Director
San Juan College Project Read
203 W. Main
Farmington, NM 87401
(505) 326-3503
meeksm at sanjuancollege.edu
GOT STRENGTHS? - Adaptability, Communication, Positivity, Relator, and
Strategic

"Serenity Now!"
Frank Costanza

_____