National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 979] Re: FW: [AAACE-NLA] level movement

Howard Dooley hdooley at riral.org
Thu Oct 18 13:29:17 EDT 2007

I do not know where the "66%" number quoted comes from. I have never
heard of this; has anyone else?

My understanding is that each state negotiates appropriate rates for
each level, based on past performance and continuous improvement
expectations.

While I agree that WIA creates a program model that emphasizes
accountability, perhaps too much so, at the state levels, I disagree
that it is an "insane bureaucracy". I do agree that programs which find
its model does not meet the primary needs of its learners, should not go
after its money.

Howard Dooley

RIRAL