National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 954] Re: Obstacles to GED Creativity and How to Overcome them

Kate.Brandt at mail.cuny.edu Kate.Brandt at mail.cuny.edu
Wed Oct 10 15:19:51 EDT 2007

Hi, colleagues,

four. Because I work at an institution where theme-based teaching in GED
classrooms is policy, I think I'm in a good position to speak to this one.

The City University of New York has taken a theme-based approach to
instruction, particularly GED instruction, for at least a decade now.
There are eleven campuses throughout New York City where GED classes are
offered. The administrators and teachers who work at these sites are
overseen by CUNY's Central Office and so there is a community of sorts
between CUNY adult literacy teachers and administrators across the
campuses. While theme-based teaching, when it was introduced,
encountered some resistance from teachers, there was also a lot of
enthusiasm for it. Having a community allowed teachers who were trying
out this new approach to share materials and experiences, both at their
campus programs and across programs.

In addition to supporting each other, teachers were--and are--supported by
a team of staff developers who work with them in a number of ways:
team-teaching, periodic campus meetings, seminars, conferences, online
fora, and more. One of the seminars that is run regularly is a curriculum
development seminar in which teachers are paid to work with staff
developers, first in a group setting, and then one-on-one, to produce
curricula that they can use in their own teaching and which are also
available to other CUNY teachers in "ready to use" form.

I do think this approach to teaching is challenging and that institutional
support makes a world of difference. In our curriculum development
seminars teachers have the chance to plan instruction carefully, thinking
about the broad concepts they want to get across, the texts and other
materials they will use, the learning goals they have for students, and
the way that the many threads that must be included in GED instruction can
be "braided" together. While it's challenging, I also think planning in
this way forces teachers to think about teaching in a deep and detailed
way. They must really think through each class--what students will learn;
which activities they will engage in; which texts will be used and why.

As a staff developer, I work with teachers who vary widely in terms of
their approaches to teaching. Some of the teachers I work with would be
considered "traditional," while others favor "student-centered" learning
and still others mix a variety of styles. It can be hard to get teachers
who have never tried an activity like student role play to take the risk.
As part of a group of teachers taking part in a seminar, though, that
teacher is more likely to try it out.

So I do think theme-based teaching is a challenge, but well worth it. And
my experience has shown me that institutional support makes all the
difference.

Kate Brandt

djrosen at comcast.net
Sent by: assessment-bounces at nifl.gov
10/10/2007 12:02 PM
Please respond to
The Assessment Discussion List <assessment at nifl.gov>

The Assessment Discussion List <assessment at nifl.gov>
cc

Subject
[Assessment 952] Obstacles to GED Creativity and How to Overcome them

Assessment Colleagues,

Several obstacles to GED program creativity have been mentioned, and there
are are others. I would be interested in hearing how creative GED
practitioners have overcome each of these challenges. I hope those who
have solutions will pick one or more of these challenges and address them
in this discussion. How have you pushed back the pressure for GED
programs to be primarily test preparation, not substantive learning? How
have you successfully addressed these constraints?

1) Students' determination to pass the test in the shortest time possible
2) Students' holding the goal "getting the GED" as an unexamined act of
faith that this is what they need that "having the certificate or diploma"
will meet their needs
3) Students' belief that "real school" looks just like the often failed)
schools they have attended, traditional models of schooling
4) Teachers' lack of experience (and therefore discomfort) with creative
teaching such as theme-based or project-based learning
5) Accountability for "GED outcomes" within a short time period from
funders at the national, state and/or local level.
6) Other obstacles or constraints, especially those that are unique to GED
Preparation programs or, Adult Secondary Education.

David J. Rosen
djrosen at comcast.net

----- Message from "Donna Curry" <donnac at gwi.net> on Wed, 10 Oct 2007
14:31:53 +0000 -----
To:
"The Assessment Discussion List" <assessment at nifl.gov>
Subject:
[Assessment 951] GED: What you need to know
Hi. I'd like to add my two-cents to the discussion about the need to help
students get their GED quickly.

I'm on a local shellfish committee looking for wardens to check out the
clam flats. When I asked what the requirements were for being a warden, I
was told they needed to have a GED or high school diploma. This struck me
so I asked why. I was told that the warden would have to send in periodic
reports based on his/her findings so s/he needed "at least a GED."

I worry about the disconnect between our teaching just to the test (in
writing, for example, the test requires students to write an "essay") and
what the broader community and business people are expecting our adult
learners to be able to do once they have a GED (such as write short
reports, but rarely an "essay").

Are we explicit in the skills that we're teaching so that students can
actually use what they've learned after they pass their GED?? Do we give
them opportunities to transfer their learning from the workbook (or
computer) to real-life situations so they know how to use different skills
in different situations?

Donna

Donna Curry
Center for Literacy Studies
University of Tennessee
("branch office" - Westport Island, Maine)
Email delivered to djrosen at comcast.net
Email delivered to kate.brandt at mail.cuny.edu