National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 753] Using Student Goals as Data

Marie Cora marie.cora at hotspurpartners.com
Thu Apr 19 08:45:54 EDT 2007

Hi everyone,

Wow, what a super discussion! So rich and full of great ideas,
interesting comments, excellent questions, and thoughtful challenges. I
usually contribute more myself but I'm just reading and soaking it in at
this point. I am cutting and pasting the discussion into a
user-friendly document, which I will make available once our Guest Panel
concludes tomorrow.

We are really covering a lot of ground here! Just curious (because it
is a focus on mine within the realm of accountability): a number of
folks have discussed issues of retention and the types of strategies
that they employ in their programming, but I don't think that anyone has
mentioned if they use student-stated goals to track retention, trends in
learning or program offerings, etc. Perhaps the use of student goals is
more easily applicable at the classroom/teaching level (not sure!), but
I just wanted to know if anyone out there makes programmatic decisions
based in part on the reasons why students come to your programs. I am
not referring to learning gains (reading, writing, math, ESOL, etc), but
rather to students' ultimate purposes for attending, like getting a
better job, helping kids with homework, buying a home, becoming a
citizen, etc.

Thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Marie

Marie Cora
<mailto:marie.cora at hotspurpartners.com> marie.cora at hotspurpartners.com
NIFL Assessment Discussion List Moderator
Coordinator, LINCS Assessment Special Collection
http://literacy.kent.edu/Midwest/assessment/