National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 605] Re: Your classroom today

Susan Reid sreid at workbase.org.nz
Fri Jan 26 19:00:21 EST 2007

Hi Marie

We use scenarios all the time in professional development - they help make concepts real and participants can relate what they have been working on to a real live situation.
Usually I use my own or other colleagues' personal experiences
Scenarios are very flexible too - a former colleague of mine taught me to how to start them off in quite a simple way and then either make them layered by adding more information or by getting the participants to add more information - that way you find out what they are doing and are able to ask rich questions about why they chose to add that information

Prior to that I had spent a lot of time writing quite complex and rich scenarios and sometimes they didn't relate to the participants' experiences so this way they build the scenario too and have a strong sense of ownership

I find scenarios really useful in making explicit the wide range of opportunities that exist for formative assessment - we put a lot of emphasis on observation and recording as formative assessment rather than 'testing' per se
Observation requires some knowledge on behalf of the teacher and a commitment to enquiry - when they see something that they are not sure about then they ask someone or work out what was happening

When I was first involved in PD I came across participants who had to comment about every aspect of the course giving little examples. Initially I found this extremely irritating until it finally dawned on me that this was their comprehension strategy and while others might internalise what they are learning some people haven't developed that as a strategy yet.

In New Zealand we call IEPs Individual Learning Plans (ILPs) and every learner in a literacy programme is meant to have one - regarded as good practice. Certainly our practice is that they are developed with the learner - they have a copy of them and that the goals in the ILPs are regularly reviewed.
In the UK part of their Skills for Strategy was ther mandatory use of ILPs - there have been a number of issues around ILPs with low level ESOL learners

see http://www.nrdc.org.uk/publications_details.asp?ID=19

regards Susan Reid