National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 595] Re: Your classroom today

Jeanette Schandelmeier Jeanette.Schandelmeier at lposd.org
Tue Jan 23 15:52:29 EST 2007

I'm a special educator, currently at the elementary level, but I've
taught at all levels including juvenile detention. My informal on-going
assessments are standards/curriculum-based; I suppose what you'd call
formative. I then write my IEP goals based on our state standards.
When I co-plan and co-teach with general ed., we group the students
based on the same types of assessments. We obtain even more information
during the direct instruction time, where we're asking each student to
respond to the instruction. While they are working independently we
make contact with each student to see how they're responding to the
instruction. At the end of the lesson we, the teachers, discuss whether
more instruction is needed (for the class as a whole or for individuals)
or whether we can move on to the next skill in the curriculum.

All of this is dependent upon a "good" (i.e. research-based, sequential,
etc.) curriculum.

Jeanette