National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 579] Re: WorkKeys for ABLE Learners

Marie Cora marie.cora at hotspurpartners.com
Tue Jan 16 13:47:15 EST 2007

Hi James and everyone,
Thanks so much for this information, it is very helpful.
James, you've raised a few very interesting issues in your discussion.
I'm not very familiar with the WorkKeys materials, but what I do know of
them indicates that they attempt to provide a snapshot of people's
cognitive skills/abilities as well as their personal qualities. What do
you (and others) think about the assessment of personal qualities? This
is an area that is very difficult to capture/quantify/etc. Do folks
find this type of assessment helpful? How do you use this information?
Is it shared with the adult student/worker?
On the note that someone is using the TABE as the pre-test and then
WorkKeys as the post-test - you are entirely correct James when you
question the validity of this mix and match - it is not valid. This
would not fly with the NRS. These tests are not equated and cannot be
assumed to provide an accurate measure of gain against each other. I
think I understand that the person doing this is interested in getting
more of a picture of the skills that the worker already has, and then
comparing how far they can go in terms of working with the WorkKeys
materials - and I suppose this could work - you could be using the
information gleaned from both tests in formative ways. But that's where
that ends: you can't use any scores from either test to say anything at
all about the person because you are using 2 different measures - they
cannot be compared to each other. And you're right James: you would
have to go thru an extensive, complex equating process in order to use
one for a pre-test and the other for a post-test - and still you would
not get truly accurate information out of this endeavor.
Perhaps the better combination would be to stick to the one assessment
for purposes of summative assessment (i.e.: reporting to funders) to be
sure of accuracy, but then use your own or commercially available
assessments, tests, quizzes, etc that can inform your teaching and help
you with further diagnostics of your adult students (formative
assessment). This feels like a schizophrenic situation I know: it
feels like the summative and formative trains shall never meet - and
there are ways in which they never will. But there are also ways in
which these two pieces can indeed inform one another and I have no doubt
that many of you already are doing this.
Thanks,
Marie Cora
Assessment Discussion List Moderator