National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 869] FW: Re: Final Day for DL Assessment discussion!

Laura Chenven lchenven at 1199funds.org
Mon Jul 16 09:57:30 EDT 2007

Even though this discussion is officially over, we can still talk about
the subject I hope.
The Healthcare Career Advancement Program is, among other things,
working with several labor management partnerships on distance learning
nursing programs. One of the things we are interested in is the
interaction between students and instructors. In some instances we
understand that there is even more interaction in DL than would be
possible in some of the lecture hall classes that many students
experience in general education and nursing lecture courses. We are
also looking at the issue of sheltered entry to college utilizing
distance learning. For example, workers who have been out of school a
long time often have difficulty making the transition to college and
need a lot of support as they are beginning their gen ed courses and
pre-requisites for nursing. We are considering a hybrid
on-ground/on-line entry to college that starts with more classroom face
time (and group computer time) and ends with more individual and
asynchronous on line time. We think this would be particularly helpful
for students interested in on line programs who need to get up to speed
with using the computer and getting into distance learning.
Do any of you have examples of these kinds of programs?
Thanks,
Laura ChenvenH-CAP
National Coordinator
P.O. Box 5688