National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 617] Re: Seeking IEPs

Jody Angelone jody_angelone3 at owens.edu
Tue Jan 30 15:21:38 EST 2007

In Ohio ABLE, the programs use ILPs (Individual Learning Plans) for
their adult students as opposed to IEPs. The state ABLE office requires
that each student has a portfolio and one required component of the
portfolio is an ILP. The ILP contains basic student and class
information, entry date/orientation, NRS primary and secondary goal,
student long-term and short-term goal, steps and activities to meet
goals, comments section, learning styles inventory results, LD screening
results (if applicable). The portfolio additionally contains student
work to document beginning, and progress toward mastery of standards and
benchmarks. Student portfolios must be reviewed and updated at least
every 90 calendar days. The portfolio system is used to help students
and teachers gauge learning and target instruction. There is a booklet
that highlights several different types ILPs and the portfolio system
that is used by ABLE programs in Ohio. You can connect to it through the
following link:
http://www.ode.state.oh.us/GD/Templates/Pages/ODE/ODEDetail.aspx?page=3&TopicRelationID=966&ContentID=16072&Content=16183

Jody L. Angelone
NW ABLE Resource Center

>>> marie.cora at hotspurpartners.com 1/30/2007 2:18 PM >>>

Hi Karisa and all,

I was looking around for some examples/samples of IEPs but I came up
pretty empty-handed. I found a number of fairly interesting resources
out there that provide background rationale, use, and so forth, but no
samples that I could locate.

I started with Gallaudet because I was familiar with those IEPs - we
used a version of them in the Deaf Literacy Program in RI - but all I
could find were references to IDEA and its application - which was
really interesting and explanatory so I thought perhaps this might be
of
interest to others.

The next resource is from the No Child Left Behind Act - thought folks
might also find this interesting.

The next resources are from public schools - 2 of them are focused on
secondary level. I thought these looked a bit interesting - the last
one seemed pretty good but unfortunately it's a power point so that's
tough one. I added it in just in case.

So do people make their own IEPs or do you get them from somewhere?
If
you get them someplace, where is that?

Gallaudet University
How the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) Applies to
Deaf and Hard of Hearing Students
See Section IV: Individualized Education Programs
http://clerccenter2.gallaudet.edu/KidsWorldDeafNet/e-docs/IDEA/index.htm

A Guide to the Individualized Education Program
NCLB - Ed.Gov
http://www.ed.gov/parents/needs/speced/iepguide/index.html

Designing Individualized Education Program (IEP) Transition Plans.
ERIC Digest.
http://www.ericdigests.org/2001-4/iep.html

Columbia Career Center
Columbia Public Schools
http://www.career-center.org/secondary/studentservices/iep.htm

<http://www.pen.k12.va.us/VDOE/sped/iep/presentation-sept-05.ppt>
Standards driven individualized education program
Virginia Department of Education
Power point
www.pen.k12.va.us/VDOE/sped/
<http://www.pen.k12.va.us/VDOE/sped/iep/presentation-sept-05.ppt>
iep/presentation-sept-05.ppt

Thanks!
Marie Cora
Assessment Discussion List Moderator

Marie Cora
<mailto:marie.cora at hotspurpartners.com> marie.cora at hotspurpartners.com

NIFL Assessment Discussion List Moderator
Coordinator, LINCS Assessment Special Collection
http://literacy.kent.edu/Midwest/assessment/