National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 994] Re: level movement

David J. Rosen djrosen at comcast.net
Sat Oct 20 10:04:08 EDT 2007

Hello Venu,

I don't think a longitudinal study, or a random sample of programs,
would meet the need that individual programs or students have for
measuring learner progress, or programs' interest in knowing learner
outcomes or impact on learners. These need to be addressed in other
ways. But since you have asked, here -- in broad brush strokes -- is
what we need to do:

• Programs need formative and summative evaluation measures. A good
formative system should have as one of its goals no surprises for the
student and teacher when they see the results of a summative assessment.
• Standardized tests could be part of program evaluation if there is
a high degree of validity between what is taught and tested.
• Multiple measures are important. In addition to standardized
tests, teacher evaluation, student self-evaluation, performance-based
measures, and other measures could be part of the mix.
• In adult education it is especially important to measure progress
toward and attainment of student goals and objectives. A superficial
process of asking students to check off their goals when they enroll
is not sufficient. Student goals need to regularly be re-visited,
and broken down into short-term objectives. Students need an
opportunity to regularly reflect on their progress, perhaps with a
teacher or tutor, or with other students. Their goals may change.
indeed changing goals may be one measure of progress!

Does all of this sound like it would take more resources than most
adult education programs have? Yes. High quality in education often
requires more resources. If we believe in high quality, then we
should advocate for it, and for the resources needed to achieve it.

David J. Rosen
djrosen at comcast.net