National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 958] Re: Assessing Creative GED Programs

Katherine G Kgotthardt at comcast.net
Fri Oct 12 10:56:21 EDT 2007

David, these are fabulous projects. I have to admit, as a fan of 19th
century culture, I was completely sucked into the "fashion" unit. Great
pictures! Minus the corset, I would love to have worn those clothes (but
not in the heat, in which case I would do the Jo March thing and wear only
pantaloons, much to the chagrin of my neighbors).

I have put off responding to the assessment question because I have not used
this kind of tool in my teaching other than when I have assigned projects to
undergrads. When I did so, I used a check sheet that covered first, the
parts of the project requirements (i.e. did they complete all the parts and
what was the grade for each part); second, separate grading for each part of
the project. Students would receive a copy of this so they knew exactly how
they did on each part.

So the grading "matrix" (I guess that's what you would call it) looked
something like this:

WRITTEN RESEARCH PAPER Completed? yes/no Grade____

__Content

__Clarity

__Mechanics

__Organization

__Documentation

VISUAL AIDS Completed? yes/no Grade____

__Creativity

__Relationship to Project

__Representation of topic (i.e. did it add anything to our understanding of
the topic?)

ORAL PRESENTATION Completed? yes/no Grade____

__Organization

__Presentation of Content