National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 917] Re: Being your own advocate

Marie Cora marie.cora at hotspurpartners.com
Fri Sep 7 16:45:35 EDT 2007

Hi Mary Jane,

Thanks so much for this. It sounds like you have worked on this area
quite a bit. I definitely see that once the ESOL student has entered an
ABE class, they certainly would need to keep up somewhat on their own
(or already be confident at that level) because some of their skills
would already be assumed in the regular ABE student.

Mary Jane: do you have ways that you gauge if the student is ready to
go to the ABE classroom? Do you work with ESOL students on gauging
their own capabilities and then how to address any gaps? In other
words, do you have strategies that you employ with your students that
ready them to be their own advocate in the higher level classroom?

Thanks,
Marie Cora