National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 788] Re: Teaching gains over more than one year

Kate Diggins Kate.Diggins at slc.k12.ut.us
Fri Apr 20 14:31:38 EDT 2007

Well, I think I would attribute it to quite a bit of individual attention. Our students are placed in samll groups and work with volunteer mentor-tutors. The groups are maintained and supported by the professional staff; so this means that there's a web of supportive relationships to help students with problems that may lead to"stop-out". If a student is absent twice without calling in, we call to find out what's happening. We try, too, to assist in overcoming the most typical barriers to education, so we have childcare and a small shuttle bus that can do door-to-door service to 15 people, if they live within a couple miles of the school. To be honest, I've never been sure that our retention was good, because I've never had data to compare it with. Does anyone know what a typical retention rate is for a non-intensive adult ESL program?

Kate Diggins
Director of Adult Education
Guadalupe Schools
(801) 531-6100 (x-1107)

>>> Andrea Wilder <andreawilder at comcast.net> 04/19/07 5:54 PM >>>

Kate--

How do you account for the long retention rate? Other programs report
this as a difficulty.

Thanks.

Andrea