National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2298] Re: Whatdowemeanbystudentinvolvement and critical thinking?

Steve Kaufmann steve at thelinguist.com
Mon Jul 14 15:59:11 EDT 2008

Leonore,Bonnie and others

One of the most important messages to a person learning a language is that
"correct' or "perfect" does not matter. Fluency is a realistic goal because
it can be achieved while making mistakes and having an accent. There are
always words that we do not understand, or thoughts we cannot quite express
the way we would like. Learners, in my experience, appreciate this message
immensely.

The language gradually gets clearer, with the occasionally moments of
clarity alternating with moments of darkness.

The importance of the analogy with singing is that for most people, they
require enjoyment and continuing practice, and a minimum of theory. They are
better learned through imitation than explanation. It is easier to sing a
song that you have heard a few times. It is easier to repeat the phrases of
a language after lots of exposure.

The difference might be that not everyone can sing. Most people can speak,
and can learn another language. In those countries where it is considered
normal to speak more than one language, people just do, whether in Africa,
Singapore or Sweden. No big deal.

Steve
--
Steve Kaufmann