National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 1908] Re: New Member

Taylor, Jackie jataylor at utk.edu
Thu Feb 7 11:01:43 EST 2008

Hello Shirley - and a belated welcome to the list!

I am glad to have you with us. I noticed this week that we've had
several new subscribers join us. For those who are new to the list, I
hope you will tell us more about why you subscribed (and how did you
learn about us!), or share any questions that have come up for you
recently as they may pertain to professional development.

Shirley, you noted that you'd like to see more PD offered to adult
literacy practitioners. In your experience, was there anything in
particular that stood out to you about the kinds of PD or supports
needed?

For those who would like to see some examples of types of PD offered in
states, the National Adult Education Professional Development Consortium
(NAEPDC) has a section of its resource library devoted to it:

http://naepdc.org/resource_library/professional_development/PD_home.html

Looking forward to discussion, Jackie

Jackie Taylor, List Moderator, jataylor at utk.edu

[ProfessionalDevelopment 1902] New Member

S. Lawrence shirleyfaith at frontiernet.net
<mailto:professionaldevelopment%40nifl.gov?Subject=%5BProfessionalDevelo
pment%201902%5D%20%20New%20Member&In-Reply-To=>
Sun Feb 3 22:32:16 EST 2008

Hello, my name is Shirley Lawrence. I am an online graduate student at
Buffalo State College-Adult Education/ Adult Literacy. I will graduate
this May.

I am taking a class that has a writing assignment that will include
listserv articles. I'm looking at several listservs to decide which one
I will choose.

I have worked and taught in emergent and adult literacy in Rochester, NY
for 15+ years and would like to see more professional development
offered to adult literacy practitioners.

I hope to have a literacy consultant firm after I finish school and
would also like to teach college.

Shirley Lawrence