National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2570] Re: Where does the reading problem go?

Steve Kaufmann steve at thelinguist.com
Sat Sep 27 13:25:58 EDT 2008

It would be a matter of creating a cloze test for the computer which is not
difficult to do. We had one in our old system and will create one again when
we have the time. Each cloze test should be based on a specific
predetermined list of words. The lists used could be different frequency
level lists,( the first 1000, the second 1000 etc.), or the Academic Word
List, or words that often appear on TOEIC or TOEFL, or the words that
learner claims to know ( something that we measure on our site).

You can look at Word Level tests and sample cloze tests at the Compleat
Lexical Tutor website put out by Tom Cobb at the University of Montreal. It
is a free and interesting resource.

http://www.lextutor.ca/

Steve

--