National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2246] Re: What do we mean bystudentinvolvement and critical thinking?

Kearney Lykins kearney_lykins at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 10 11:19:11 EDT 2008

I would proffer that critical thinking is not so much a skill as it is an attitude; at least it starts there.
Because critical thinking exposes oneself to the possibility of being shown that he is wrong, it is more about being open to ambiguity and change. These are not skills per se; it is really about overcoming the will. Montaigne's essays come to mind as exemplars of critical examinations about how one initially thinks the world and oneself "is", and after honest reflection and observation, revising one's opinion's about things. Critical thinking is concerned with growth and change and these always carry risk. A willingness to accept risk is paramount.

Any attempt to “teach critical thinking” will be lost on those who are not ready to accept its consequences.
I have never heard a teacher say, "today we are going to learn about critical thinking."
Kearney