National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2202] Re: from Steve, Critical Thinking and Learner Leadership

Ochieng kh ochykheyr at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 8 03:28:12 EDT 2008

I hasten to add that critical thinking is a major plank of teaching and learning. I have personally been wondering why our society is increasingly lacking in the authority of precedent. For instance, quotable quotes, parables, originality, etcetera are limited to old thinkers. The wisdom attributed to the founding fathers of the American nation such as Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln, George Washington, James Madison, etc is seriously lacking in contemporary thinking. It is exremely difficult to find quotable quotes from even amongst the learned fraternity of the clergy and the judges. We can only quote serious scandals, corruption, wars, bombs, earthquakes, typoons. Probably modern society is more preoccipied with stomach issues. I suppose this serious intellectual erosion could be attributed to absence of a culture of critical thinking.
Ochieng M Khairalla-Nairobi-Kenya.