National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 1996] Re: AALPD Membership Update

Ann Beck ABeck at LVCCReads.org
Wed Feb 27 16:09:17 EST 2008

I hate to sound stupid, but what's AALPD?
Ann Beck

_____

From: professionaldevelopment-bounces at nifl.gov
[mailto:professionaldevelopment-bounces at nifl.gov] On Behalf Of Taylor,
Jackie
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2008 11:00 AM
To: The Adult Literacy Professional Development Discussion List
Subject: [ProfessionalDevelopment 1994] AALPD Membership Update

Professional Development Colleagues,

Thank you to all who have responded so quickly in joining or renewing
membership with AALPD! In a little over a week, 116 individuals from 34
states and two countries have joined or renewed membership so far.

Please see below for a listing by state/country. Beneath that is the
membership drive announcement that explains membership benefits and how an
updated membership base helps AALPD advocate effectively for PD while
providing members the best possible services. While you can join/renew at
any time (membership is free), we ask that everyone renew during our
membership drive so that we can update our records:

http://www.aalpd.org/membership_withvoting08.cfm

Please invite colleagues from your area to join or renew membership now and
vote for this year's slate of officers. Membership drive ends March 17th, so
please sign up today.

See below.Jackie Taylor, PD List Moderator, jataylor at utk.edu

United Kingdom: 1

Canada: 1

USA State/District

AALPD Members

Abbreviation

ALABAMA

AL

ALASKA

AK

AMERICAN SAMOA

AS

ARIZONA

3

AZ

ARKANSAS

AR

CALIFORNIA

5

CA

COLORADO

2

CO

CONNECTICUT

2

CT

DELAWARE

DE

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA

1

DC

FLORIDA

2

FL

GEORGIA

4

GA

HAWAII

HI

IDAHO

1

ID

ILLINOIS

3

IL

INDIANA

1

IN

IOWA

2

IA

KANSAS

2

KS

KENTUCKY

4

KY

LOUISIANA

1

LA

MAINE

ME

MARYLAND

2

MD

MASSACHUSETTS

14

MA

MICHIGAN

5

MI

MINNESOTA

MN

MISSISSIPPI

MS

MISSOURI

3

MO

MONTANA

MT

NEBRASKA

NE

NEVADA

1

NV

NEW HAMPSHIRE

1

NH

NEW JERSEY

5

NJ

NEW MEXICO

2

NM

NEW YORK

8

NY

NORTH CAROLINA

3

NC

NORTH DAKOTA

ND

OHIO

8

OH

OKLAHOMA

OK

OREGON

OR

PENNSYLVANIA

8

PA

RHODE ISLAND

4

RI

SOUTH CAROLINA

2

SC

SOUTH DAKOTA

SD

TENNESSEE

5

TN

TEXAS

3

TX

UTAH

UT

VERMONT

VT

VIRGINIA

3

VA

WASHINGTON

3

WA

WEST VIRGINIA

WV

WISCONSIN

1

WI

WYOMING

WY

Dear Colleagues:

It's that time of year again! Over the next month, the Association of Adult
Literacy Professional Developers (AALPD) invites you to join or renew
membership with AALPD:

http://www.aalpd.org/membership_withvoting08.cfm

AALPD is...

AALPD is a national organization for professional developers committed to
advancing the field of adult literacy professional development
(http://www.aalpd.org/). Anyone working or interested in professional
development can join. As an affiliate of COABE (Commission on Adult Basic
Education), AALPD meets at COABE Conferences and other professional
development events. AALPD is a member of the National Coalition for
Literacy.

Vote While You Join or Renew Membership

While you are joining or renewing membership, you have the opportunity to
vote on the 2008 slate of AALPD officers (Chair, Vice-Chair, Secretary, and
Treasurer). Vote by March 17th!

Renewing Membership:

As we grow and expand, we need updated information about our members in
order to advocate effectively for professional development and to provide
members with the best possible services. So, we are asking everyone to renew
their memberships by registering as an AALPD member each year.

New/Prospective Members:

If you are not yet a member, are you interested in:

* Getting more involved with adult literacy professional
development?

* Contributing your voice to shaping PD policy initiatives, along
with other advocates of adult literacy PD?

* Taking part in establishing (in the eyes of policy makers) the
legitimacy of a national association of practitioners/PD staff committed to
adult literacy professional development?

====

Join or Renew Now: http://www.aalpd.org/membership_withvoting08.cfm
====

AALPD 2008 Activities

AALPD is/will be:

* Visioning and strategic planning for AALPD's role in advancing
adult literacy professional development

* Advocating for funding for professional development

* Increasing leadership opportunities by expanding leadership roles
and working groups that align with AALPD priorities

* Finalizing the AALPD draft quality professional development
standards with feedback from the field (online and in-person at national PD
events)

* Facilitating the adoption and implementation of professional
development quality standards and recommended AALPD PD Policies

* Planning the 2009 PreConference and AALPD strand at COABE

* Strengthening PD networking opportunities

AALPD Ongoing Activities

AALPD:

* Hosts an annual PreConference at COABE

* Co-sponsors the Adult Literacy Professional Development discussion
list in partnership with the National Institute for Literacy

* Provides a Professional Development Registry of materials to which
you can find and contribute facilitator materials

AALPD Membership Benefits:

* Membership is free!

* You can vote for AALPD officers and on special issues that arise
(Only AALPD members will be eligible to vote).

* We will send you the latest information about upcoming trainings,
events and resources.

* You can have input into the design of the COABE pre-conference
session next year (2009).

* You can choose to participate at various levels of involvement to
further key priorities identified by our members.

* You can help to strengthen AALPD's voice in advocacy by
demonstrating a strong membership of concerned practitioners committed to
professional development.

To stay abreast of AALPD activities, visit: http://www.aalpd.org/

Join or Renew Now: http://www.aalpd.org/membership_withvoting08.cfm

Thank you for joining or renewing your membership with AALPD. I look forward
to an active year ahead.

For the AALPD Executive Board,

Jackie Taylor, Adult Literacy Professional Development List Moderator,
jataylor at utk.edu
Association of Adult Literacy Professional Developers http://www.aalpd.org/