National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2254] Re: What do we meanbystudentinvolvement and critical thinking?

Bonnie Odiorne bonniesophia at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 10 16:20:29 EDT 2008

Philip, I have to admit that I was thinking of what you were saying about those who are afraid to speak out even as I was writing that post, by which I by no means meant persuasive argument as a means of teaching critical thinking. I was thinking of it in the context of activism and agency, of self-advocacy. I am very interested in the distinction Brookfield makes between hegemony and power, both of which are power forces in language making and comprehension: that place between "common sense," what always seems to be so (hegemony) and the discourse of power that may (invisibly or implicitly) reinforce or subvert those beliefs, depending on the context. I think critical thinking then would be the teasing out of what we have "always" felt to be true, along with a growing perception of the power behind some of the words that surround us (which is why there are those students who don't speak up, who know the reality of that power. Isn't "question authority"
itself an oxymoron? What's my authority to tell you to...
Keep on learning,
Bonnie Odiorne
Post University
Waterbury, CT