National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2011] AALPD Membership Update

Taylor, Jackie jataylor at utk.edu
Tue Mar 4 21:02:59 EST 2008

Professional Development Colleagues:

So far, 182 individuals from 39 states and three countries have joined
or renewed membership with AALPD in 2008. Florida numbers, in
particular, jumped from 2 to 28 in a matter of days!

States in the double digits also include Massachusetts, Pennsylvania,
and New York, though we have strong representation among some smaller
states as well.

Please review the list below.

* Is your state represented among AALPD membership?
* Have the numbers in your state really changed since last week?

Please forward the membership drive announcement (see bottom of this
email) to PD colleagues in your centers and programs. Like Florida, it
may take just one AALPD member to raise awareness of AALPD by sending
out the request (below) and adding a personal note.

What is AALPD? Why join? See:
http://www.nifl.gov/pipermail/professionaldevelopment/2008/002023.html

Or visit: www.aalpd.org <http://www.aalpd.org/>

Drive ends March 17th. Join or renew today. It's free!

http://www.aalpd.org/membership_withvoting08.cfm

A membership invitation is pasted in at the bottom of this email. Please
spread the word.

Thanks! Jackie Taylor, List Moderator, jataylor at utk.edu

AALPD Membership Update

United Kingdom: 2

Canada: 1

State/District

AALPD Members

Abbreviation

ALABAMA

1

AL

ALASKA

AK

ARIZONA

3

AZ

ARKANSAS

2

AR

CALIFORNIA

7

CA

COLORADO

4

CO

CONNECTICUT

2

CT

DELAWARE

DE

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA

3

DC

FLORIDA

28

FL

GEORGIA

5

GA

HAWAII

HI

IDAHO

1

ID

ILLINOIS

4

IL

INDIANA

2

IN

IOWA

2

IA

KANSAS

2

KS

KENTUCKY

4

KY

LOUISIANA

1

LA

MAINE

1

ME

MARYLAND

2

MD

MASSACHUSETTS

18

MA

MICHIGAN

5

MI

MINNESOTA

1

MN

MISSISSIPPI

MS

MISSOURI

6

MO

MONTANA

MT

NEBRASKA

NE

NEVADA

1

NV

NEW HAMPSHIRE

1

NH

NEW JERSEY

5

NJ

NEW MEXICO

2

NM

NEW YORK

11

NY

NORTH CAROLINA

3

NC

NORTH DAKOTA

ND

OHIO

8

OH

OKLAHOMA

OK

OREGON

1

OR

PENNSYLVANIA

13

PA

RHODE ISLAND

4

RI

SOUTH CAROLINA

2

SC

SOUTH DAKOTA

SD

TENNESSEE

7

TN

TEXAS

6

TX

UTAH

UT

VERMONT

2

VT

VIRGINIA

4

VA

WASHINGTON

3

WA

WEST VIRGINIA

WV

WISCONSIN

3

WI

WYOMING

WY

Dear Colleagues:

It's that time of year again! Over the next month, the Association of
Adult Literacy Professional Developers (AALPD) invites you to join or
renew membership with AALPD:

http://www.aalpd.org/membership_withvoting08.cfm

AALPD is...

AALPD is a national organization for professional developers committed
to advancing the field of adult literacy professional development
(http://www.aalpd.org/). Anyone working or interested in professional
development can join. As an affiliate of COABE (Commission on Adult
Basic Education), AALPD meets at COABE Conferences and other
professional development events. AALPD is a member of the National
Coalition for Literacy.

Vote While You Join or Renew Membership

While you are joining or renewing membership, you have the opportunity
to vote on the 2008 slate of AALPD officers (Chair, Vice-Chair,
Secretary, and Treasurer). Vote by March 17th!

Renewing Membership:

As we grow and expand, we need updated information about our members in
order to advocate effectively for professional development and to
provide members with the best possible services. So, we are asking
everyone to renew their memberships by registering as an AALPD member
each year.

New/Prospective Members:

If you are not yet a member, are you interested in:

* Getting more involved with adult literacy professional
development?

* Contributing your voice to shaping PD policy initiatives,
along with other advocates of adult literacy PD?

* Taking part in establishing (in the eyes of policy makers) the
legitimacy of a national association of practitioners/PD staff committed
to adult literacy professional development?

========

Join or Renew Now: http://www.aalpd.org/membership_withvoting08.cfm
========

AALPD 2008 Activities

AALPD is/will be:

* Visioning and strategic planning for AALPD's role in advancing
adult literacy professional development

* Advocating for funding for professional development

* Increasing leadership opportunities by expanding leadership
roles and working groups that align with AALPD priorities

* Finalizing the AALPD draft quality professional development
standards with feedback from the field (online and in-person at national
PD events)

* Planning the 2009 PreConference and AALPD strand at COABE

* Strengthening PD networking opportunities

AALPD Ongoing Activities

AALPD:

* Hosts an annual PreConference at COABE:
http://www.aalpd.org/conference.html

* Co-sponsors the Adult Literacy Professional Development
discussion list in partnership with the National Institute for Literacy:

* Provides a Professional Development Registry of materials to
which you can find and contribute facilitator materials:
http://www.aalpd.org/pdregistry/index.html

AALPD Membership Benefits:

* Membership is free!
* You can vote for AALPD officers and on special issues that arise
(Only AALPD members will be eligible to vote).
* We will send you the latest information about upcoming
trainings, events and resources.
* You can have input into the design of the COABE pre-conference
session next year (2009).
* You can choose to participate at various levels of involvement
to further key priorities identified by our members.
* You can help to strengthen AALPD's voice in advocacy by
demonstrating a strong membership of concerned practitioners committed
to professional development.

To stay abreast of AALPD activities, visit: http://www.aalpd.org/

Join or Renew Now: http://www.aalpd.org/membership_withvoting08.cfm

Thank you for joining or renewing your membership with AALPD. I look
forward to an active year ahead.

For the AALPD Executive Board,

Jackie Taylor, Adult Literacy Professional Development List Moderator,
jataylor at utk.edu
Association of Adult Literacy Professional Developers
http://www.aalpd.org/