National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2661] Upcoming Discussion on Health Literacy List

Jackie A. Taylor jackie at jataylor.net
Fri Nov 14 18:17:45 EST 2008

The following announcement is posted on behalf of Julie McKinney,
Moderator of the Health Literacy List. Please read on ~ Jackie Taylor

November 17th-23rd: Phonotonovellas in Health and Literacy Education

On the Health Literacy Discussion List, we will have Susan Auger and
John Comings as guests to talk about the concept behind photonovellas
and why they are so well-suited to health education for adult learners,
and multicultural patients. We will also hear from adult educators and
health outreach workers to see how this tool can be used effectively in
both health and literacy settings.

Please see the full announcement at:

http://www.nifl.gov/lincs/discussions/healthliteracy/08Photonovella.html

If you have colleagues who may be interested in joining the list for
this discussion, please forward this to them and invite them to join!

Here is a list of resources to look at in order to prepare for the
discussion

*********************************

Online Video about using photonovellas in health care settings:

http://www.playstream.com/theater.aspx?path=/twsstudy/TWSphotonovel&file
=TWS2d768K_Stream.mov&w=320&h=240

Website with description and examples of photonovels

http://www.photonovel.ca/index.htm

Example of an Online Photonovella created by adult literacy students:

What a Friend Can Do For You

http://healthliteracy.worlded.org/heal/friends/index.html

Article: Learner Developed Materials: An Empowering Product

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/healthliteracy/photonovel/hlit_article.html

Julie McKinney

Health Literacy List Moderator

World Education

jmckinney at worlded.org

Jackie Taylor, Online Facilitator, jackie at jataylor.net

Adult Literacy Professional Development

Adult Literacy and Language Learning Communities of Practice

http://www.nifl.gov/lincs/discussions/discussions.html

National Institute for Literacy www.nifl.gov