National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2608] Re: Question for the List

Muro, Andres amuro5 at epcc.edu
Fri Oct 17 10:28:22 EDT 2008

Pedagogy and andragogy are two unrelated schools of education with different origin. Pedagogy means child education and andragogy means man education. Both are etymologically incorrect in terms of how they are applied, but that is besides the point.

Historically pedagogy referred to education in general as the big umbrella under which all education falls in. Recently, in education, pedagogy has been associated with Freire and what he referred to as critical pedagogy in the early 70s. Andragogy is a concept originating with Malcolm Knowles also in the 70s. Both Freire and Knowles models apply to adults and have some elements that are similar. Essentially they both believe that adult education has to be student centered. However, Freire adds a political twist. Friere felt that adults learners often come from poor backgrounds and poverty is socio-historically constituted. So in critical pedagogy it was important for the students to become conscious of the socio-political and socio-historical forces that lead to their poverty and oppression and for them to work collectively to overcome this through education. Knowles does not have the political twist but is more inclined to students directing their education based on their particular interests.

In Latin America and Africa critical pedagogy has been extremely popular because of the clear differences between rich and poor. In Cuba Freirian pedagogy has been developed and modified to highly sophisticated levels making Cuba, a country with almost 80% illiteracy before Castro to one of the most literate societies in the world. Even though nowadays, there is tremendous poverty in Cuba, everyone if fully literate. Freire's model and Cuban models have been reproduced in other Latin American countries with success but not to the Cuban level. In the US critical pedagogy has been very popular in universities and in schools of sociology and social theory as a model to criticize traditional education in the US. However, full critical pedagogy models have not been implemented. There have been some elements of critical pedagogy that have emerged here and there with success, but that is the extent of it. I would say that the most successful applied description of critical pedagogy in action comes from Elsa Auerbach's work.

Andragogy was criticized for the prefix "andra" which means male. A lot of adult education programs serves women so many have rejected the term. Yet, without knowing a lot of advocates for adult education have always embrace models that theoretically coincide with the principles of andragogy. That is that education is students centered and lead and the teachers facilitate the process by which students learn what they want. The closest comprehensive model that emerge in the US that sort of reflects andragogical principles is the Equipped for the Future model that emerged during the Clinton years. The model proposed that adults wanted to acquire skills to fully participate in family, vocation, education and community roles and develop this role maps to facilitate the process. The roles and roles maps supposedly emerge from interviews with learners and educators throughout the country.

The problem with either critical pedagogy and andragogy in the US has been the lack of standardization. Adult education in the US is essentially funded by the US dept of Education. They want evidence of results and they think that standardized testing is the most obvious evidence. So programs get lost in endless testing and in preparing the students to take standardized tests. Also this is supposed to lead to employment which is the other motivation for funding adult education in the US.

Hope this offers a good review. Another good source of the history of literacy in the US for the past 30 years is George Demetrion's Conflicting Paradigms in Adult Literacy. You may want to look at Allan Quigley's book about literacy in the US. I have a brief review in my office of George Demetrion's book and I'll try to post it later if I remember.

By the way, most of the references that I made will pop up right away if you google them, and you'll get tons of stuff.

Hope this helps. Good luck,

Andres

Please visit my art website at:
http://www.geocities.com/andresmuro/art.html