National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2519] Re: Looking for information on Adult Literacy for Masters project

Diane Maag dmaag14 at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 18 17:39:33 EDT 2008

Thank you so much for all of the resource information.

Diane Maag

From: templege at hotmail.comTo: professionaldevelopment at nifl.govDate: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 09:25:56 -0400Subject: [ProfessionalDevelopment 2511] Re: Looking for information on Adult Literacy for Masters project

Diane, Have you tried nifl.gov (National Institute for Literacy) that's where I'd start. Also I found a ton of useful stats and information by just googleing - adult literacy Sanilac Literacy CouncilExecutive Director,Grace Temple

To: professionaldevelopment at nifl.govFrom: wrmuth at vcu.eduDate: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 10:51:53 -0400Subject: [ProfessionalDevelopment 2506] Re: Looking for information on Adult Literacy for Masters projectDiane - this is a very broad area, as the "benefits" of correctional education are described and measured in so many ways (academics, reducing crime, recidivism, employment, salary, etc. Here is a cost benefit analysis of adult CE programs by Steve Aos et al. at Washington State Institute for Public policy . You are wise to look for stories (qualitative) data as well. I've included two (of many) references. You should also visit the Center for the Study of Correctional Education at: http://www.csusb.edu/coe/programs/correctional_ed/ and the Correctional education Association at: http://www.ceanational.org/ Good luck. And congratulations for selecting such a great topic for your adult literacy topic! Bill Muth, VCU Boudin, K. (1993). Participatory literacy behind bars: AIDS opens the door. Harvard Educational Review, 63, 207-232. Geraci, P. M. (2000). Reaching out the write way. Journal of Adolescent and Adult Literacy, 43, 632-634.

Diane Maag <dmaag14 at hotmail.com> Sent by: professionaldevelopment-bounces at nifl.gov 09/17/2008 09:02 AM

Please respond toThe Adult Literacy Professional Development Discussion List <professionaldevelopment at nifl.gov>

<professionaldevelopment at nifl.gov>

cc

Subject
[ProfessionalDevelopment 2504] Looking for information on Adult Literacy for Masters project

Hello,I am a special education teacher looking for information to complete a project regarding adult literacy. I am tutoring at a local youth prison facility and want to know if the wards are benefiting from the help being offered. Does anyone know where to acquire both quantitative and qualitative research in this area?Thank you.Diane Maag

Stay up to date on your PC, the Web, and your mobile phone with Windows Live. See Now----------------------------------------------------National Institute for LiteracyAdult Literacy Professional Development mailing listprofessionaldevelopment at nifl.govTo unsubscribe or change your subscription settings, please go to http://www.nifl.gov/mailman/listinfo/professionaldevelopmentProfessional Development section of the Adult Literacy Education Wiki http://wiki.literacytent.org/index.php/Adult_Literacy_Professional_Development